top of page

Survivor, DIC, & Death Benefits

Survivor Resources
Spouse, Children, Parents

The organizations listed are not affiliated with or employed by Veteran Warriors. Veteran Warriors is not responsible for any actions, inactions, or contact with any party listed. Those listed here are done so only as referrals. Veteran Warriors receives no compensation for these referrals.


Veteran Warriors does not provide or imply any warranty or guarantee of assistance or service by any organization listed herein. Veteran Warriors is not affiliated and does not receive compensation from any company listed. We have verified the legal standing of each company listed but can in no way validate any claims they make as to performance. Any use of any organization listed is done so at your own risk. As with any legal or financial decision, we strongly recommend you do your own research on any organization you select and be aware of all laws governing their work. Veteran Warriors will in no way compensate or reimburse any member for any losses due to these referrals. 

Survivor Education Resources
Survivor Greif Resources


Surviving Dependent Educational Resources

  • Fry Scholarships are offered to qualifying children and spouses of service members who died in the line of duty after Sept. 10, 2001. This scholarship covers tuition, housing costs, books, and supplies for a maximum 36 months of benefits. This particular benefit is very detailed in terms of eligibility including marital status and age. Dependent children are eligible once they turn 18 unless the dependent has graduated high school.

  • Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance is a VA program that provides 45 months of education benefits and on-the-job training for eligible dependents of veterans with VA ratings of permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition. The program is also open to eligible dependents of veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a VA-rated condition caused by or associated with military service.

  • Many states have education benefits for eligible dependents of Veterans, in addition to the federal VA programs listed above. Eligibility differs, some programs are based on years of service, some on disability rating, and some are more general. It is definitely worth looking into your state-sponsored programs, as in some cases tuition, fees, and textbooks are completely covered at state schools.

  • Veteran Service Organizations (VSO) and nonprofits have scholarships for military and veteran dependents. MOAA, Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society, and the Army Scholarship Foundation are just a few of the many groups offering additional support.

  • TAPS Scholarship Search Tool is a great resource to locating scholarships you may be eligible for.

  • Folds of Honor scholarships are for the children of fallen and disabled troops and Gold Star spouses.

  • Veterans United Foundation Scholarship for Surviving Spouses and Children

  • Fisher House Foundation Scholarships for Military Children
    "Since 2001, Fisher House Foundation has administered the "Scholarships for Military Children," a scholarship program for the sons and daughters of service members, which in the last 10 years, has awarded $8.3 million in scholarship grants to 5,400 military children.

  • Children of Fallen Patriots Foundation
    Children of Fallen Patriots Foundation provides college scholarships and educational counseling to military children who have lost a parent in the line of duty; including casualties from combat, training, illness and suicide. We aim to bridge the gap between the VA, and other grants, and the total cost of undergraduate college education or vocational school. Fallen Patriots serves surviving children (step-, foster-, and adopted-) of fallen service members from all military branches and components. There is no age limit to enroll a child, and scholarship applications are accepted year-round. Financial help includes, but is not limited